I got an opportunity to work at 343 Industries as a Technical Environment Artist on the Environment Content team. My work involves working hand in hand with both the engineering and the art teams to ensure smooth workflows, as well as optimized levels.
- Ensure that game assets meet visual quality, as well as rendering requirement for different platforms, using performance timing tools and auditing them by hands.
- Test, debug, and write documentation on how to test tools used by the art teams.
- Set up automated visual report for the regular tools testing via Kusto and PowerBi
- Be the first responder to any workflow issue that occurred within the Environment Content team, Multiplayer team, Forge team, and Campaign team.
- Set up and maintain a system that allows content creators to file a help ticket and quickly get help with notifications to the support teams. This helps tracks all the workflow issues, and gives leaderships a weekly report that assists in feature and bug fixing prioritization.
- Create procedural tools in Houdini for fast asset placements in expansive maps. (In development)
- Create procedural tools to help generate Forge assets. (In development)
Optimization Work: HLOD
In order for everything to render at the appropriate frame rates in an open and expansive environment, we implemented the HLOD system to allow more things to remain on the screen at mid and far distances. Along with other technical artists, we figured out settings for different kinds of asset, and batch bake them with a python script. This includes some manual tweaking at the end as well to improve visual quality.
HLOD work 01
HLOD work 02
HLOD work 03
HLOD work 04
HLOD work 05
HLOD work 06
Optimization Work: Hard Surface
I used python scripts to batch assign appropriate settings to the LOD reduction settings, texture settings, and asset settings so the environment is up to performance, yet still retain good visual quality. I also seek out problematic areas or assets with a performance capture tool, while also regularly monitor different camera points through other performance tracking tools.
Hard surface optimization 01
Hard surface optimization 02
Hard surface optimization 03
Optimization Work: Foliage
I worked with biome artists to optimize of procedural foliage in the campaign for each individual platform's spec. This included working with the our terrain toolset, tuning spec, tuning density of the assets, and hand optimized some assets.
Decorator Optimization 01
Decorator Optimization 02
Decorator Optimization 03
Decorator Optimization 04
Decorator Optimization 05
Decorator Optimization 06